Sometimes I have trouble keeping up with the little things in life. Like Facebook. Or my blog (since you may have recently noticed a period of long silence, due to the very basic fact that I haven’t had time to write). So, when a friend posted on Facebook that she was looking for new songs to listen to when she went running, I really wanted to respond, but didn’t immediately, and then next thing I knew, a week had passed and I’d well and truly missed the opportunity to share my opinion. Which was disappointing, because although this friend and I have completely and entirely different tastes in music, I’d once asked a similar question and hadn’t really received any suggestions, which I found frustrating, so I had really wanted to respond.
So, Ali Mango, this one is for you – better late than never…
To begin, can I just say that I really don’t understand people who enjoy listening to podcasts while they run. Really?
I should probably also admit that I don’t often run with music. This is partly because I’m usually running with someone (either my running buddy or Lil Z) and partly because sweaty ear buds are unpleasant (not to mention they hurt my ears after a certain point). But there are those early morning mid-week runs where I’m on my own and need some tunes to keep me motivated.
And I should also add a disclaimer that I haven’t really updated my musical repertoire since moving to Australia – apart from the influences of my 5-year old daughter. The soundtrack to the movie “Frozen” is the currently most played album on my iPad – and that isn’t my doing…
But speaking of Frozen, I’d almost be tempted to listen to the song “Let it go” when I run… except that after listening to it at least 30 times during Vegemite’s nightly bath, I really don’t think I need to hear it any more.
So… here are my top 5 running songs:
- The Fighter by Gym Class Heroes. Its good and inspirational. And (if you can forgive me a cheesy moment), for me it sums up Lil Z, who is a fighter, yelling ‘kiss my ass’ and giving everyone hell who stands in her way. And yep, ‘I’ll be in your corner like Mick, baby, ’til the end / Or when you hear a song from that big lady’.
- Mr Brightside by the Killers. This one just makes me happy because it reminds me of dancing on the bed with Vegemite when she was little.
- Breathe by Anna Nalick. Not what you’d expect in a good running song because it’s a bit slow, but I like it anyway. Maybe because (if you can forgive me another cheesy moment) the lyrics have real meaning: ‘Cause you can’t jump the track, we’re like cars on a cable /And life’s like an hourglass, glued to the table / No one can find the rewind button, girl / So cradle your head in your hands / And breathe… just breathe’.
- Firework and/or Roar by Katy Perry. Hey, I’m the mother of two girls, so it is inevitable that Katy Perry is HUGE in our house. And I secretly like kind of like her, too…
- It’s hard to choose number 5, but it is probably a tie between Infra Red by Placebo (mainly because Brian Molko makes me go all melty inside) and pretty much anything upbeat by Bruce Springsteen (because he makes me happy).
And now its time for a little audience participation. We can all use a bit of new inspiration from time to time. What’s your favourite song to run (or walk or exercise) to?